As I procrastinate working on said applications, I bring to you a blog post on presidents because a love for weird history facts is just another one of my strange quirks that I would only share in my Internet life because y'all don't judge. At least, y'all usually don't.
I don't guarantee the accuracy of any of these facts because most of them I have read on the Internet over the years, so don't hold me on this. Hold off on your lawyers if in ten years you find out something on here is not right. Hear my warning now.
1. Our first president, George Washington, was also the wealthiest president. Although we seem to regard Washington as being very humble and down to Earth, he had a net worth of $525 million and his plantation consisted of five separate farms on 8,000 acres of farmland.
2. Thomas Jefferson — our third president — invented the swivel chair, an obviously fundamental and important item of the American office.
3. William G. Harding reportedly took his KKK oath in the Green Room of the White House.
|The casual historical racism adds such a beautiful touch, obviously. Source.|
4. John C. Calhoun was the only person to serve as Vice President for two presidents, John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson.
5. Martin Van Buren was the first president who was born an American citizen. Before that, all presidents had been born British subjects.
6. Ronald Reagan is the only president to have ever gotten a divorce.
7. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech was so inspiring to President Bill Clinton that he memorized it.
8. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the first president to speak on television. It's kind of ironic because this was a HUGE deal, and today very few American citizens tune in when the president has a televised speech.
10. No president has ever been an only child. Despite this, there are four who have had only half siblings (so some do consider them to be only children), Franklin Roosevelt, Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama (he had 10 half siblings!).
Because of time and the various applications that must be filled out, I must end here, but most certainly there will be more to come. Anyone know of any interesting presidential facts not mentioned above? Or perhaps your country's leaders have some sort of strange facts you'd like to share?
Have a fabulous day.